Macrews? Re: [Sca-cooks] re: Armored Turnips

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 11 09:35:27 PDT 2002

> Remember when I asked the list if anyone had done a handout/pamphlet listing
> an original recipe, a redaction and a modern recipe similar to the original?

Oh. Now I get it.

Here's another one, though I can't give you the exact recipe for the
modern recipe (it was in First magazine sometime in the first 2 years of
its publication and since i have the recipe memorized I lost the recipe
card years ago).

Penne with Basil & Mozzarella (similar to Macrews/Losyns)

Cook penne lisce pasta until done (1/3 to 1/2 lb is what I usually use)
Drain pasta and return to the same pan it was cooked in.
Add butter and olive oil (about 1 tb butter and a splash of olive oil is
what I use)
Add grated parmesan or romano cheese, stirring, until the pasta is thinly
covered with cheesey goodness.
Add chopped basil leaves (5-6 tbsp is good, but you can use less) and stir
in.
Add shredded mozzarella and stir. (I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup). Don't use
too much or it will become a solid (if delicious ) mass.

I serve it with garlic salt. Kitchen tip: multiple soakings with hot water
and dumpings-out will clean up the pan much faster than just trying to
wash it.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."