[Sca-cooks] re: Armored Turnips

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 08:48:14 PDT 2002

Remember when I asked the list if anyone had done a handout/pamphlet listing
an original recipe, a redaction and a modern recipe similar to the original?
  I got a few responses but it seems no one has done this so I took on the
project and am probably going to get slapped by someone for not asking or
whatever but in innocence I have proceeded.
In the handout that I am putting together for the demo this weekend,
armoured turnips is one of the recipes I included.  The following is the
"modern" recipe that I found to compare to the old.  Let me know what you
think.

Modern recipe
Taken from Epicurious.com
Turnip and Sweet Potato Gratin

This gratin is particularly welcomed on the holiday table by those who love
sweet potatoes and hate marshmallows. The cream and butter make this so
delicious your guests will lie in bed and remember it happily all year long.
You only serve this kind of dish once in a very long while, so the caloric
intake is moderated. If your meal has too many sweet potatoes, see the
variation for turnip gratin.
2 to 3 pounds white turnips, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated imported Parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
2 cups heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 3-quart casserole.
To blanch the turnips, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the
sliced turnips and cook 5 minutes. Remove them and drain thoroughly in a
strainer.
Gently combine the turnips and sweet potatoes. Place a layer of the
vegetables in the casserole and dot with half the butter. Sprinkle
generously with tarragon, salt, and pepper, and cover with half of the
Parmesan. Make another layer. Top with the bread crumbs and pour the cream
around the sides. Dot with the remaining butter and Parmesan. Bake until the
vegetables are soft but not mushy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Variation
Omit the sweet potatoes and double the amount of turnips.
     Makes 10 to 12 servings.
     Nathalie Dupree’s Comfortable Entertaining
   Nathalie Dupree,  Viking Press