[Sca-cooks] Forks in period??? (Somewhat OT)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 09:49:27 PDT 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> BTW, for those curious as to why, I'm toying with arms...  I am getting
> this so far:
> Vert, a wheel of eight pokes, on a chief Or a Talbot sejant between two
> sets of a fork and spoon crossed in saltire.
>
> Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, off list might be more
> appropriate...  I'm considering replacing fork by knife, but I think
> visually a fork works best...

I think there was a picture of a two-tined fork in Scappi.  Keep in mind that a
fork [as in pitchfork] was a farm tool before it was a food tool, and therefore
is a valid charge in SCA heraldry.  Remember, this is Heraldry not Real Life,
and there is no sense of scale in heraldic art.

You need a tincture for the charges on the chief.  I have a suspicion they will
be sable, for Wix The Sweetest Black Dog In The World, but you seem to have
dropped it from your blazon.  A standing or running dog would fit a chief
better than a sitting one;  a chief being a horizontally-oriented rectangle and
all that.

How about the forks or spoons as the main charges?  "eight forks in annulo,
tines outward" would convey wheel-ness as well as foodie-ness and look pretty,
like an asterisk of forks.  Or spoons.  Neatens up the chief considerably too.
Neat is good.

Just some free advice, worth easily twice what you paid for it,
Selene Colfox
Sable Fret Pursuivant, Barony of Altavia
and a pioneer in the area of internet heraldic consultation