[Sca-cooks] Forks in period??? (Somewhat OT)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 11 22:51:12 PDT 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd asked:
> Quick question on fork use.  Not quite on topic, but...

Huh? I don't think this is off topic. Been discussed here previously, anyway.

> I'm sure someone has a handy reference to when forks were actually used at
> first?  I'm looking for forks used for eating, as well as, and more
> importantly, forks used for cooking/carving.  Ideally in the English isles,
> though the rest of Europe would work for me too :-)

You might try these files in the FOOD-UTENSILS section of the Florilegium:

forks-msg         (23K)  4/13/01    Period forks. history and use in Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/forks-msg.html

p-tableware-msg   (47K)  4/11/01    Period tableware. Period references
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/p-tableware-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net