[Sca-cooks] Re: spice labels

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 12 12:18:21 PDT 2002

Some are labelled and some are not. The more obvious things aren't, like
star anise, and sesame seeds, and long pepper. But I started labelling my
spices back when we were broke and I stored everything in yogurt
containers. Somebody cooking with me mixed up the paprika and the cayenne
in the painful direction, and ever since then I've tried to label the ones
that aren't intuitively obvious.

Basically, if you have to smell it to figure out what it is, I label it.
My sweetie, who frequently cooks with me in my kitchen, has no sense of
smell, so if there's no label I end up pulling the spices out of the
cabinet for him. And that's a pain, especially when I'm in the middle of
working with something like raw meat. Not that there aren't some he has to
ask me about anyway, like the various cassias, but at least I don't have
to wash my hands just to go point to a jar.

Margaret