[Sca-cooks] Re: spice labels

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 11:22:37 PDT 2002

You actually label your spice jars.  I tend to use the
stealth method.  Whatever was originally on the jar is
the label that stays there.  So I have cumin labelled
as Tellichery peppercorns, cubebs in an old saffron
jar and 90% of the rest of the spices completely
unlabelled.  I know what everything is and it only
becomes an issue when anyone else tries to cook in my
kitchen.  It works for me as most of the spices are
distinctive enough in appearance and/or smell for me
to tell the difference.

Helewyse

the quote starts here: That reminds me, I need to do
new labels for my spice jars--the old ones were done
with ink that turned out not to be waterproof. Anybody
else use the medieval spellings to label their spices?

Margaret