[Sca-cooks] OT: Ellipsis...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 15:34:28 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/12/2002 4:34:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sjk3 at cornell.edu writes:

> What really gets me is people who write in perfectly complete sentences,
> but connect them with ellipses instead of periods.  Why?

I sometimes use them to sort of indicate a thought trailing off - like when
you are speaking and you just sort of run down at the end of a sentence.  I
know the voice tone of what I'm thinking about, but I can't really describe
it.  But I still use only three dots - unless I'm really iffy about what I
just wrote.  To a certain extent, it's a mood thing with me - I use them more
in a certain mood.  Just as I use dashes more.

Brangwayna