[Sca-cooks] Apicius

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 12 17:44:53 PDT 2002

Actually the SCA-List archives contains all the discussions on this work
from the past year. It can be searched using "Google".

 Since it's free take it home and shelve it and use only with caution.
Sometime in 2003 or possibly 2004 Prospect Books will be publishing
their new edition by
Sally Grainger & Chris Grocock, APICIUS, ISBN 1-903018-13-7.

I think that this might be a very good one.

As for Apicius being used in the Middle Ages as a cookery text, see my
post here at:
http://www.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks/2002-June/027788.html
It lists all the sources as well as the arguments.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
Phlip mentioned: Well, your best bet is to look in the Florilegium-
there are, I believe
several reviews of the various versions of Apicius.
In a nutshell, Apicius was used throughout the MA, but it's not as
ancient
Roman as it was originally reputed to be.
Barbara Benson wrote:> snipped
she gifted me with a copy of Apicius. snipped The