[Sca-cooks] Apicius

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 12 23:44:25 PDT 2002

Serena da Riva asked:
> Last night at our meeting one of our long time members of the SCA brought a
> big bag that was the fruits of her labour, going through her attic.
>
> Among fabric and sundry books she gifted me with a copy of Apicius. I wanted
> to know if there are good and bad translations of this book, if there is
> anything I need to be aware of in this particular translation. The
> Translator is Joseph Dommers Vehling, published by Dover in 1977.

Well, the various versions of the various Apicius recipe books have
been discussed here a number of times. Take a look at this file
for a bunch of comments on this author and others:

cb-rv-Apicius-msg (51K)  5/21/02    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net