[Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Sep 12 17:50:23 PDT 2002

>Either way, the Henkels are well-worn and in need of sharpening - any
>one have tips on how to do this/have this done?

Get yourself a set of stones.  Probably you want an 800 grit, a 2000 grit
and a 4000 grit.  Or something like that.  the lower the number, the
coarser the stone, the more you remove from the blade (hence getting a
rough edge faster).  You want to move to a finer grit as you are getting
closer to the edge you want.

There are oil stones and water stones...  I kinda like the water stone, but
you have to keep them wet.  Some say the oil stones give a better finish.

You want to keep an even angle on the blade when it goes on the stone, make
one long uninterrupted motion from one end of the blade to the other.  Some
people also use circular motions of the blade, which is also ok, but I feel
you get less control over the evenness of the sharpening process that
way.  Make sure to sharpen equally on each side (count the strokes).

It takes a while to get the knack of it, but once you do, you don't want to
let anyone else sharpen your blades because everyone sharpens in very
individual ways and give their own particular edge.  Someone else could
come around and screw up the edge you've worked hard at putting.

Hope this helps...

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle