[Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Sep 12 18:25:53 PDT 2002

>Wow, I hit the jackpot with that request - Thanks!

You're welcome...  Glad you think it helped :-)

>  I'll have to find
>some sharpening stones now.

Arkansas stones are my favourite.  I'm not sure, though I suspect you can
find them online.  Of course your local home depot/lowes is sure to carry
something like htat, though I tend not to like them, not too sure why...

>   I'm kind of paranoid about ruining the
>good knives though - I've seen knives that were completely trashed by
>people who didn't know what they were doing.

Yes, you can ruin a knife, though it's harder to do with stones than it is
with a machine.

>  I do suspect though that
>I can find some lesser quality blades around to practice with.

Probably, though if you want to practice, get yourself another set of $29
sabatier...  Remember that lesser quality knives, in general, don't have
the same type of steel in the blade and can be *very* hard to sharpen
properly, even if you know what you're doing.  So practicing on a cheaper
quality blade might not give you the practice you are after.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies