[Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Sep 12 20:29:51 PDT 2002

Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>Wow, I hit the jackpot with that request - Thanks!  I'll have to find
>some sharpening stones now.  I'm kind of paranoid about ruining the
>good knives though - I've seen knives that were completely trashed by
>people who didn't know what they were doing.  I do suspect though that
>I can find some lesser quality blades around to practice with.

And practice is what it'll take. And remember, the standard "magic
number" is a 15-degree angle between blade and stone.

One of the great cutlery nightmares of my almost 20 years in the SCA:
(apart from the time I found someone stirring a large container of
lemonade with my honing steel), EK 12th Night, Canton of Marwick,
~1989 or 90, when a local knight, whose father had been a kosher
butcher, I STR, was found with my chef's knife in one hand, and my
steel in the other, holding blade at 90 degrees to the steel in both
possible planes, dragging the burr edge of the knife, _hard_,
directly, straight, across the steel. You could hear the knife
screaming. Or was it me?

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER