[Sca-cooks] Re: British candy

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 13 20:00:00 PDT 2002

Also sprach Stephanie Ross:
>--
>"While I have seen Turkish Delight that has indeed been a sort of
>rose-flavored jelly, the best stuff I've seen has been bought by the
>pound, cut from a spiralled rope of date-based jelly mixed with
>_lots_ of pistachios (the date goo is essentially a substrate),
>lightly flavored with rosewater, and rolled in powdered sugar."
>
>Oh Master Adamantius, you wouldn't happen to have a recipe for this,
>would you, PLEASE!?!!
>
>Aislinn

I'll look, but I don't know if I have one. I found a number of
recipes on the Web for the kind that you set in a pan and cut into
squares when cool, but the kind they sell at Sahadi Importers is a
little different; it's shaped into long logs, which are then rolled
into coils for storage, under a heavy coating of powdered sugar. I
STR being told that, unlike the kinds made with cornstarch or
gelatin, the stuff from the Middle East is actually thickened with
pectin, not unlike the various quince concentrates, and that the
pectin derives naturally from fresh dates (which, like apples and
quinces, start out pale yellow-white, but if you allow them to, will
darken in contact with the air). Fresh dates don't taste too
different from sweet apples, either, now that I think about it.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER