[Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 13 23:41:10 PDT 2002

Adamantius declared:
> One of the great cutlery nightmares of my almost 20 years in the SCA:
> (apart from the time I found someone stirring a large container of
> lemonade with my honing steel),

So, I guess I'm missing something here. I can see two possible
reasons that this is bad:
1) the iron particles caught on the honing steel will come off in the
lemonade, probably adding some iron to he lemonade but also discoloring it
and perhaps adding some grittiness.
2) the acidity of the lemonade might have an effect upon the steel in
the honing steel. But I would think if you washed off the steel soon
enough that no lasting harm would be done.
3) using the honing steel doesn't do very good at stirring the
lemonade.

I would guess the first reason.

So, please enlighten me on this situation.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net