[Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

Mike Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Sat Sep 14 08:01:52 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Sabatier knives

> Essentially, washing it gratuitously is bad, so you try not to get it
> dirty, then it can be maintained much more easily just by wiping with
> a soft cloth.
>
> Adamantius

Adamantius,
Normally, I find you extremely well versed in stuff, and that you can
explain things with humor and with ease of understanding. However, in my
experience, this above is pure bosh.

At work, which for me is the beef kill/eviseration floor, not only the
inspectors, but everyone that works with knives (which is pretty much
everybody) wears thier steels hanging from the chain around thier waists.
This is also where we hang the knife scabbard, which holds around three
knives and a meat hook. Not only is the steel exposed to the blood and gore
that gets spattered around, but it gets dipped repeatedly in 180F or higher
water to sanitize it. I've never heard a complaint about ruined steels. And
most of these people are as knife savy as the restaurant people (more so, in
my experience).

The main conversation at work about steels is the debate of cermanic vs.
diamond edged vs. steel. (I haven't decided yet)

Beatrix of Tanet

---