[Sca-cooks] Elizabethan cookery manuscripts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 14 09:20:00 PDT 2002

The earliest recipe in Martha Washington's cookbook is from about 1540.  The
recipes probably represent a multi-generational collection re-transcribed in
the early 18th Century.

Sabina Welser's cookbook (1553) was in manuscript form.  The earliest
printed cookbook by a woman is Weckerin, 1598.

There was a manuscript recipe book belonging to William Daile (estimated
date 1610) which may or may not be earlier in the Aresty collection.

Bear