[Sca-cooks] Re: honey cake

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 14 10:51:06 PDT 2002

Bear wrote:

<<Panforte, which I have previously mentioned is a mixture of nuts, fruit,
spices, honey and a little flour baked to give it a firm shape.  The
lebekuchen and gingerbread recipes of the period appear to be similar.
Leavened cakes, which are actually loaves of bread stuffed with fruit and
nuts, start appearing in the 16th Century.>>

I remember gingerbrede as being hard crumbs stuck together with honey. I figured that this was the closest I'd get to the honey cake I know. Panforte sounds yummy. Lebkutchen is probably the closest to the pound cake recipe, IMO. Thanks for all the info, I was curious and thought I'd ask.

Aislinn