[Sca-cooks] Re: honey cake

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 15 00:06:24 PDT 2002

Aislinn commented:
> I remember gingerbrede as being hard crumbs stuck together with honey. I figured that this was the closest I'd get to the honey cake I know. Panforte sounds yummy. Lebkutchen is probably the closest to the pound cake recipe, IMO. Thanks for all the info, I was curious and thought I'd ask.

Well, there are period gingerbrede recipes and redactions in this
file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:

gingerbread-msg   (45K)  2/26/02    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html
And in this file in the FOOD-BREADS section you can find a period
recipe and redactions for Panforte.

bread-msg        (185K)  9/19/01    Medieval breads and grains.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/bread-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net