[Sca-cooks] carrot cake

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 14 21:21:01 PDT 2002

It's noted in monestary account books as pepper and honey cakes.  The name
panforte came into use in the late 19th or early 20th Century as a marketing
name for the traditional dessert.  As far as I know there is no recipe or
description capable of being a recipe before 1600.

I use a modern recipe which is similar to period gingerbread recipes.  I
believe there is a copy in the Florilegium.

Bear