[Sca-cooks] Churros

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 16 19:20:24 PDT 2002

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>Watching churros being mechanical churned out on the Food Channel, it came
>to me that they were very similar to Sabina Welserin's Spanish Pastries (of
>which, I have rolled many), if one concedes that churros made by hand
>probably aren't extruded.  My question is do we have any pre-1600 recipes
>for churros?
>
>For those who don't know them, churros are a tubular, filled, fried pastry.
>A skinny, filled Long John with a crispy crust.
>
>Bear

The churros I see being sold on the streets (and even in subway
stations, if the cops turn a blind eye to this kind of commerce, and
if they want to suppress commerce I can make some suggestions on
where to start) seem like they might be extruded via a pastry bag,
but I was unaware of them being hollow or filled. I always thought of
them as a cruller variant, maybe slightly similar in texture to
loukoumades (but without the syrup). In other words, just enough
gluten to be cleanly cut by the star tip of a pastry bag, without
getting tough.

This is just my observation, though. I've never bought, eaten, nor
seen a recipe for them.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER