[Sca-cooks] OOP: Weight of candied orange peel?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 08:26:48 PDT 2002

>I'm thinking of trying an 18th c. cookie recipe, but it calls for the
>candied peel of one orange.  What I have in the house is slivered
>candied peel.  Does anyone know the weight of one orange's worth
>of candied peel?
>
>Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann

Some stranger looking, uninvited, through a window would find this a silly
question.  OTOH, here it seems quite reasonable.  I don't know the answer,
but do you need that answer right now?  If you don't need it till tomorrow,
I can get it for you.  I don't have email at home or I could post it off
tonight.  IIRC an average orange peel prepped and ready to be candied is
only about a third of a cup of material.  I cann't imagine that is what you
are looking for, because the added weight of the syrup and sugar would give
more volume as well as weight.

So, care to share the recipe?
Olwen