[Sca-cooks] OOP: Weight of candied orange peel?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 17 09:44:57 PDT 2002

On 17 Sep 2002, at 15:26, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >I'm thinking of trying an 18th c. cookie recipe, but it calls for the
> >candied peel of one orange.  What I have in the house is slivered
> >candied peel.  Does anyone know the weight of one orange's worth of
> >candied peel?
> >
> >Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
>
> Some stranger looking, uninvited, through a window would find this a
> silly question.

He would??  What a peculiar stranger!  He certainly won't get any
cookies from me.  :-)

> OTOH, here it seems quite reasonable.  I don't know
> the answer, but do you need that answer right now?

No.  Today I'm redacting the 18th c. chocolate cookie recipe.
Tomorrow or even next week would be fine.  I just want to try out
the recipe.  If successful, it may appear in my cookie swap parcel.

> If you don't need
> it till tomorrow, I can get it for you.  I don't have email at home or
> I could post it off tonight.  IIRC an average orange peel prepped and
> ready to be candied is only about a third of a cup of material.  I
> cann't imagine that is what you are looking for, because the added
> weight of the syrup and sugar would give more volume as well as
> weight.

Yes, I know.  I took some dried slivered orange peel from the
Pakistani grocery store, boiled it in sugar syrup, and let it dry
again.  It about quadrupled in weight after candying.

> So, care to share the recipe?
> Olwen

Sure, but I have to translate it first.  It's from _Arte de Reposteria_
by Juan de la Mata, 1755.  There's a whole chapter of various
flavored bizcochos.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net