[Sca-cooks] Questions about flatbreads

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 17 20:18:11 PDT 2002

>I did notice that sometimes, bread or flour is just bread, or flour, but
>at other times it's specifically wheat.  What other grains would they
>have likely been using? I'm thinking barley, maybe?

Barley and millet, primarily.  Sorghum in parts of North Africa.  Maize in
the Ottoman Levant.

It may be that when wheat is specified, the instruction means to use durum
wheat (high gluten).

>Does anyone have any idea of when yogurt started to be
>used as an ingredient in bread?
>Maire

To my knowledge there is no evidence for or against the use of yohgurt as
baking liquor pre-1600.  However, it is something a knowledgeable baker
might try for special breads.

Bear