[Sca-cooks] injuries

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Sep 18 06:36:52 PDT 2002

Poor Drakey.....
Like you, I think I bumped my head on the way out of the birth canal,
and I've been a walking disaster ever since.
Stories...lessee....Put my hand down on a stove burner that'd *just*
turned non-red when I was 9 (I still remember the rings of blisters, and
the fact that we had no recourse to medical treatment...too far from a
doctor).  Went to a friend's birthday party in the 7th grade--she lived
in a rural area, and we were screwing around in an adjacent field that
night, and I *sat* on barbed wire (still have the scars up and down my
legs).  Set my hair on fire lighting a pumpkin on Halloween night when I
was in the 8th grade--lost front hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and skin on
most of the left side of my face (no visible scars, thankgoodness,
although it *is* more sun-sensitive). Was forever trying to take off
fingertips with a shearing knife (that's christmas trees, for which you
use a sharp machete-thing, and it was *never* hard to tell which work
gloves were mine because of the cuts!).  Sewed through various fingers
and thumbs with an industrial sewing machine--still have bits of one of
the needles in my right pointer finger.  Set the kitchen on fire at an
SCA event about 10 years ago.  Gave myself a double concussion when I
ended up (completely involuntarily, I might add) going down a waterslide
upside down AND backwards.  Started destroying my right knee by
mis-stepping off the bus, and finished the job by falling down a flight
of stairs for a shower truck at an SCA event.  Destroyed the left one
slipping on something I *thought* was dry. Dislocated my right shoulder
by riding "no hands" on my bicycle, until I hit a pot-hole, and went
right over the front end and came down on my right elbow (jayzus, that
hurt!).  Oh, and rear-ended a car, while riding a bicycle.
And...just this past week, fell over backwards over *my own luggage* in
a train station somewhere in England.
Feel better yet? :-)
--Maire "it's a miracle I lived to see 40" NiNuanain