[Sca-cooks] Pumpernickel (was Re: food myths (Turkey))

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 18 14:15:18 PDT 2002

OED sez:

pumpernickel:
[G., also {dag}pompernickel (in use 1663); also (earlier) a lout, a booby.
Origin uncertain.]

    Bread made (in Germany) from coarsely ground unbolted rye; wholemeal
rye bread: associated esp. with Westphalia.
  [The name was app. unknown in F. Moryson's time: cf. Itin. (1617) III.
50 That West-Phalians deuoure..browne bread (vulgarly cranck broat, that
is, sicke bread).]

  1756 NUGENT Gr. Tour, Germ. II. 80 Their bread is of the very coarsest
kind, ill baked, and as black as a coal, for they never sift their flour.
The people of the country call it Pompernickel. 1839 LONGFELLOW Hyperion
ii, The devil take you, and your Westphalian ham, and pumpernickel!

I like the notion of Westphalian ham and pumpernickel! -- J

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."