[Sca-cooks] a book on bread?

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Wed Sep 18 17:39:16 PDT 2002

Sorry, I don't have a good book for you, but I will share the best hint I've
ever been given regarding bread-making!

To tell when the dough's been kneaded enough:

Pull a small handful of the dough off slowly. If, as the dough breaks, it
forms small stringy looking things, that's the gluten having been developed
properly by the kneading, and it's kneaded enough, if it breaks cleanly,
more kneading is necessary.

After I learned this, I've never had problems with my breads not rising
properly.Before then, my breads were a bit hit or miss.

Glenda.