[Sca-cooks] Almond powder question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 10:41:18 PDT 2002

Ilaria wrote:
>Ground almonds seem to be thin on the ground here and my food processor has
>had a myocardial infrarction, so it appears the marzipan is a lost cause.
>You would think in a city with an 900K plus population, one of the health food
>stores or fancy schmancy groceries at least would have almond paste! Maybe
>I'm spoiled from having grown up in the Wash DC area....  ::sigh::

The local supermarkets here (Oakland and Berkeley CA) carry small
rolls of almond paste, but that would have been way too expensive for
a feast.

When i needed a vat of almond paste for a feast, i first called a
bakery that actually uses the stuff and asked where they got it, or
if they could order it for me. They were willing but suggested that i
first try ordering it from a one-of-a-kind supermarket you all have
heard me talk about before, The Berkeley Bowl. The Berkeley Bowl
doesn't stock the stuff either, but with enough advanced warning they
special ordered it for me.

So, you might try talking to a bakery/patisserie that makes stuff
with almond paste in it...

Anahita