[Sca-cooks] What is STC good on? Everything!

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 19 11:10:27 PDT 2002

It is being served on the side with cormayre (pork in caraway sauce)
mushrooms and pearl onions, broccoli, and rastons in our upcoming feast.  It
is good on all of those things, and leftovers from previous courses as well.
The original calls for pretty much anything you have laying around to be
dredged in it (which, in my dairy eating days, I would have done).
Christianna

Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese
Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,
Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten
melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or other
boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton: and, if you will, Chop
some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or
fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets [green onions], or Anchovis, and set
all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and stir all well
together, to Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal consistence,
strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of
White-bread. You may scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel. [end of
original]