[Sca-cooks] Very carefully not panicking...

firedrake at earthlink.net firedrake at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 13:01:55 PDT 2002

Generys,

I've been doing feasts off and on for 26 years, and I still get that
frisson
of panic a couple of days before, wondering what I've forgotten/
miscalculated/didn't know.  Selene and I have faced over the years:
malfunctioning ovens, unfamiliar equipment (using steam kettles for
the first time) burnt rice, flakey volunteers, cut fingers (talk to Æduin)
delayed courts, missing provision orders, and frozen split Cornish
Hens that were supposed to have been thawed and ready to be
stuffed.  I've larded legs of lamb and marinated chickens while the fire
department was four houses up the street fighting a brush fire, and
gilded chickens in the kitchen while wondering if the feast hall was
going to flood due to the rains.  Every feast, about two -weeks- before,
Selene goes through at least one evening of 'overwhelm'  where she's
sure it'll never all get done.

We've never had a failure yet.  We've had to do some -major-
improvising on a few occasions, but we've never blown it completely.

You'll do fine.

Jared Blaydeaux,
Altavia, Caid