[Sca-cooks] Very carefully not panicking...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 14:27:20 PDT 2002

Good My Lord Husband Jared wrote:

>  Every feast, about two -weeks- before,
> Selene goes through at least one evening of 'overwhelm'  where she's
> sure it'll never all get done.

My lord is extremely gentle in his terminology, leaving out the weeping,
wailing, sturm und drang involved at this point in the process.  It passes.

Everyone here has had a lot of good advice, let me put in my $0.02:

One job description I have is "sergeant."  This person makes sure I'm fed and
watered on a regular basis, not standing up too long, and screens requests and
lookie-lou types at the door to find out if they =really= need to bother me.
He calls himself a "sergeant" or "troll" but possibly "batman" is more like
it.  [Oh get your head out of the comic books, this is the earlier military
usage.]

You are the captain of the ship, everyone looks to you so go ahead and look
confident, as if you know what you are doing, that gives everyone else
confidence to succeed.  On the other hand, this is not license to bully,
abuse, or otherwise behave badly all in the name of acting the tempestuous
chef artiste.  Kindness first, remember your staff are all volunteers too.
This is supposed to be fun for everyone!

Selene Colfox