[Sca-cooks] Very carefully not panicking...

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Sep 19 16:11:15 PDT 2002

> OK, I've mentioned this before, but I'm cooking my first feast (as head cook
> I mean) tomorrow and Sat, and while everything *appears* to be going well,
> in terms of logistics, etc... I'm absolutely terrified that *something* is
> going to go horribly wrong and it will be my fault.  Do you all have any
> words of reassurance for a very nervous first time cook? :-)

You will do fine. A very wonderful woman, now a Laurel, said to me at my
very first event: "You already know how to do it. You just have to let
yourself do it." [She was talking about spinning but I've always
remembered it in situations like this!]

Don't be afraid to take a breather. Don't be afraid to ask someone who is
asking you questions to wait just a moment while you get your head
together. While it's not a good idea to do too much of the nitty-gritty
all yourself, grabbing a cutting board and chopping stuff for five minutes
can give you an intellectual breather and help you focus if necessary.
Don't be afraid to ask for help-- make sure your autocrat is kept informed
if anything goes wrong or you need more help.

And remember, you have to tell us all about how it went! We're all
supporting you.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."