[Sca-cooks] OOP: 18th c. chocolate (was Weight of candied orange peel?)

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Thu Sep 19 20:35:06 PDT 2002

At 11:18 PM 9/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On 19 Sep 2002, at 0:08, Ron Carnegie wrote:
>
>>     What I meant, is that the "insipid" result very well might be
>>     correct.
>> I suspect so even more now that you described the result more fully.
>> This has far more in common with what I would expect from an 18th
>> century receipt using chocolate.  I suspected from your apparent
>> disappointment, that you might have been expecting something more akin
>> to a modern chocalate cookie.
>
>Yes.  I like my chocolate to be intense.  If this recipe doesn't do
>that, well... I just won't make it again.  There are many more
>recipes out there, waiting to be resurrected.
>
>The hot chocolate, OTOH, was great.  I used Mexican table
>chocolate flavored with cinnamon and cloves, hot water, sugar, and
>just a leetle bit of cayenne.  It was enthusiastically received by the
>attendees at the A&S workshop I went to last night.

    Yes Chocolate!   I much prefer the historic versions of this beverage,
though many don't since it is awfully alien to their expectations.

Ranald,
Ron Carnegie
r.carnegie at verizon.net
	"The poetry of history lies in the quasi-miraculous fact that
	 once on this earth, on this familiar spot of ground walked
	 other men and women as actual as we are today, thinking
	 their own thoughts, swayed by their own passions but now
	 all gone, vanishing after another, gone as utterly as we
	 ourselves shall be gone like ghosts at cockcrow."
				G.M. Trevelyan