[Sca-cooks] OOP: 18th c. chocolate (was Weight of candied orange peel?)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 20:18:06 PDT 2002

On 19 Sep 2002, at 0:08, Ron Carnegie wrote:

>     What I meant, is that the "insipid" result very well might be
>     correct.
> I suspect so even more now that you described the result more fully.
> This has far more in common with what I would expect from an 18th
> century receipt using chocolate.  I suspected from your apparent
> disappointment, that you might have been expecting something more akin
> to a modern chocalate cookie.

Yes.  I like my chocolate to be intense.  If this recipe doesn't do
that, well... I just won't make it again.  There are many more
recipes out there, waiting to be resurrected.

The hot chocolate, OTOH, was great.  I used Mexican table
chocolate flavored with cinnamon and cloves, hot water, sugar, and
just a leetle bit of cayenne.  It was enthusiastically received by the
attendees at the A&S workshop I went to last night.

>     I know this is OOP, but my knowledge of 18th century cooking far
> surpasses my knowledge of SCA period cooking as I worked in an 18th
> century kitchen for three years, one of those years as the lead cook
> (wife still does).

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net