[Sca-cooks] Re: Very carefully not panicking...

P. A. Stonnell hlisobel at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 20 09:19:16 PDT 2002

At 05:59 PM 19/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>--
>Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:59:25 -0400
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Very carefully not panicking...
>
>Generys wrote:
>
>OK, I've mentioned this before, but I'm cooking my first feast (as head
cook I mean) tomorrow and >Sat, and while everything *appears* to be going
well, in terms of logistics, etc... I'm absolutely >terrified that
*something* is going to go horribly wrong and it will be my fault.  Do you
all have >any words of reassurance for a very nervous first time cook? :-)

>I can relate to your feelings! I think we all have a moment of panic
before we start a feast. My >advice is: make lists so you don't forget to
do something (I am big on lists), play soothing music >in the kitchen, and
make sure that there is a car close to the feast hall so you can run to the
>store to get that one ingredient you forgot.

Better yet, have a person who's job it is to make that last minute run to
the store for you. And don't forget the reciepes of any thing that is being
made onsite, and tape so you post them and
a timeline on the wall so everyone in your kitchen has some idea of what is
happening.

And most important, Cooks do NOT do scullery!

Isobel fitz Gilbert

>Find out where the nearest grocery store is to the site on your way in
tomorrow if you don't know >already. DON'T FORGET TO EAT!!! and drink
plenty of fluids. And for god sakes wear comfortable >shoes, preferably
sneakers. Your mood will stay on a much more even keel if you don't hurt
from >the waist down. Have ibroprofen or tylenol handy to take in the
afternoon when your feed begin to >seriously hurt. You'll be fine! Can't
wait to hear about it!!

>Aislinn
>

>"Of the Good in you I can speak, but not of the Evil.  For what is Evil
but Good -  tortured by its own hunger and thirst?  When Good is hungry, it
seeks food , even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of
dead waters." - Kahlil Gibran