[Sca-cooks] Source for cook's stuff? (was Re: Very carefully not panicking...)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Sep 20 11:48:06 PDT 2002

At 01:04 PM 9/20/2002, you wrote:
>Now that you mention it, can you (or any of the other professional-type
>cooks on the list) point me to a good, reasonably inexpensive source
>for aprons, cooks jackets, etc....

I haven't been purchasing that stuff in years, and all my sources were in
Quebec.  That said, I'm convinced you can find lots of stuff at your local
restaurant supplies store.  The vast majority of them will sell to the public.

>Also, any other tips on clothing (such as the one about shoes) would be
>most appreciated.

Let's see...

Cotton is probably your best bet of material.  Do not, under any
circumstances wear synthetic stuff in the kitchen, *especially* your apron!

Even if it's hot, you want something with long sleeves.  Protects you from
burns and splashes of hot stuff.  I'd say your best bet is to aim for the
classic chef's jacket.  It is not pretentious to wear (unless you suddenly
cop an attitude...), and it evolved to be what it is.

I personally avoid the sewn on plastic buttons.  Having lost one button in
a 25 gallon kettle of Sauce Espagnole and having to find it afterwards made
me swear by the cotton "knot" buttons.

Apron, you want a LONG apron, that you can roll a couple times to protect
your gut, and that won't leave you with what appears to be a
mini-skirt.  THe apron is meant to protect you, so it has to be long enough
to do that job.  Besides, a longish apron can be grabbed at the bottom and
used as a "mitt" to grab a hot pot in a pinch.  Most aprons you can get at
the store have flimsy cords to tie them.  I had mine custom made, but with
the amount of folks who do sewing in the SCA, I'm sure you can either do it
yourself or get it done easily.

Pants should be long enough to cover the ankles and below.  If you drop
something hot, they are the last protection after the apron.  Lots of folks
argue over the colour of it.  White, checked, striped, black, whateva!  I
like checked, seems to hide stains well...  But then, when I had to make
appearances in public, I'd put on my navy pants with stripes...  Who knows? :-)

Hope this helps :)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle