[Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Marion -Sue Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:13:44 PDT 2002

>Ok, so short of a 12-step group (Hi, I'm Jadwiga, and I'm addicted to
>feeding people...) what can you all suggest to come up with a potluck
>contribution that won't be embarrassing but won't break my non-existent
>budget?

Ohhh yes please! needing to know here too!  My local Barony has a potluck
night once a month and I seem to be averaging expenses of Aust $30 for
ingredients everytime [mostly cause I *know* that about half of the
attendees will either not bring anything (there's a $3 surcharge if they
don't but the organisers *Don't* then use this money to go get more food -
very frustrating!) OR they bring a scrawny little roast chicken or tiny loaf
of bread]I just like to make sure that there's some good & plentiful
documentably period food on offer. So less expensive recipes would be
BRILLIANT!!

It's getting so that I take a large amount of the food and then hover in the
background until everyone else has served themselves and only then see if
there's anything left for me to munch on...

Oh and on a tangent - how *Does* one educate adults in the concept of "you
take a portion - you do NOT fill your plate to overflowing and then leave
half of it uneaten whilst others go without".... cause that frustrates me
more than ANYTHING!!!

Mari
(about to go do some more Roman recipes for tonights dinner party :-p)