[Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Fri Sep 20 17:32:33 PDT 2002

It is a very difficult concept to get across - the "buffet mentality" takes
over.  The easiest solution is to have someone actually doling out the food (or
various individuals spelling each other off) until everyone has gone through the
line once.  At our last event no one had been assigned to serve breakfast, so a
friend and I got behind the counter to serve right quick to make sure something
like that didn't happen. For subsequent meals during that weekend others took
the hint and took turns serving behind the counter.

Regarding good potluck ideas, I find tarts, either savory or sweet are fairly
cheap and go a long way because people will only take one or two, not a huge
ladleful like they might for something like a stew. Plus they're usually less
messy and don't require serving utensils.  I usually just cheat and get a big
box of the premade shells at Costco to keep on hand and use as necessary.
Faerisa