[Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Butterflye butterflye at runbox.com
Fri Sep 20 17:53:49 PDT 2002

If it's just a plain potluck and doesn't have to be period, I have a cheap-o
recipe that is so good, I never bring home leftovers! My kids call it
"stuff," so that's the official name. It requires
. 1 loaf of bread
. 10-12 eggs
. 2-3 cups milk
. 2 cups grated cheese, any kind you like (cheddar is usually fairly cheap)
. 1# of any meat you like -- I've used bacon, sausage, hamburger, and spam,
and for something festive (and if it's on sale) imitation crabmeat (here you
don't need a full pound, a little goes a long way.)

Seasonings to taste -- I use salt & pepper, a little seasoning salt, and
usually some dried onion. If I am making the crabmeat one, I might add a
small can of chopped green chilis or pimientos (chilis are usually pretty
inexpensive).

In a 13 x 9 pan, break up the bread into pieces. (If you use a glass pan,
you don't need to grease it, but if you use a metal cake pan, you might want
to spray it with Pam for ease of cleanup.)

Whatever meat you've chosen, cook it separately and then break it up all
over the bread. (Spam and crabmeat don't require pre-cooking).

Whip together the eggs & milk just till the eggs are completely blended in,
and add the seasonings of your choice. Pour the egg mixture over the bread
and smoosh the bread so that it's all absorbing the eggs.

Top with the grated cheese, and pop into a 350º oven for 45 minutes or so,
until the top is puffy and golden (using a glass pan you can tell if it's
done all the way). You can stick a knife in it to check for doneness, but if
it gets melted cheese on it, you'll have a harder time to tell. I go by
touch -- if it's not squishy and sort of pops back when you touch a puffy
place, it's done.)

That's it. You can use stale bread (not moldy of course, but the thrift
bread store is a good source for cheap). The mixtures and possibilities are
up to you, and it's easy, tasty, and not messy to eat at buffets.

Hope this helps some. Oh, and if you make it with crab meat, expect to have
people ask you to make this for every potluck you go to! I always get "Oooh,
Butterflye, bring that crabmeat thing  you make, ok?"

Next time: Easy cheap cheese cake for a crowd.

YIS
~Lorète