[Sca-cooks] Kitchen wear, was Very carefully not panicking...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 20 20:10:26 PDT 2002

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>Thanks for the clog info, Muiredach. I could visualize the clogs, i
>just thought there was some other type of shoe in there, too... I'll
>have to see if they have my size. Open back shoes make my feet tired
>(but at least not like hot knives).
>
>One of my helpers suggested nurses shoes... Anyone have any ideas about these?
>
>OK, chefrevival has my size, and i thought describing the icky
polyurethane clogs as "dishwasher safe" was amusing...

I cannot recommend Birkenstocks too highly for kitchen work, either
the backed clogs (which come in inexpensive plastic, and look
suspiciously like Dutch wooden shoes) or their professional line of
cork-insoled, backed, clog-type, leather shoes. They have several
models, all of which look a little like maryjanes for ducks (I like
the "London" version, which is highly functional and looks good with
garb, in black or brown), and which add at least three hours to a
back-pain-free, mostly standing workday for me.

The leather "London", "Paris", and "Boston" aren't real cheap
(~$150), but save on chiropractor bills, and are available with
non-skid soles. The only feature they might add, but apparently have
not, is a steel toe.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER