[Sca-cooks] Home from Phoenix

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 20 22:57:51 PDT 2002

Gunthar said:
>>Phoenix was very hot, although we did manage to bring some
>>humidity with us in the form of rain while we were there.
>
> Phoenix is always hot. But it's cooling off. It was only 98
> degrees F. yesterday.

Haven't been there for the Estrella War, have you?

> And the reason for the rain is in debate. Some feel it was brought
> on by the fact that I fought in Crown.

Yep. I'm waiting to see what happens when you win the Atenveldt Crown.

> I haven't had the opportunity to use it just yet, but it's sitting
> in a place of honor right next to my rotisserie. I'm planning
> things like all-day spaghetti sauce or braised ribs....

Oooh. The braised ribs sound good. Got any good recipes? I do
have a crock pot. Period or non-period. I only have a few
period rib recipes in this file, and could always use more.
ribs-msg          (10K)  6/30/02    Period rib recipes.

>>We also got a chance to see the spectacle that is a fighter
>>practice out there.  Roughly 300 people or so, and we were
>>informed that it was a light turnout due to it being the
>>Wednesday before Crown List.
>
> It was a pretty impressive sight when I first beheld it too.
> I came from a fighter practice with about 10 people to THAT.
> And it was pretty small that night. There are usually close to
> 500 people out there on Wednesday night.

Is this a combined fighter practice of the three baronies in the
Phoenix area? Or just one barony??? If the former, do you also
have smaller Canton or single Barony fighter practices? Seems
like it would be a long drive for a lot of folks if there is only
one fighter practice each week.

Our fighter practices are also a major social gathering. Often the

others outnumber the fighters, both rapier and armored. If this is
true at the fighter practice you mention, then that is a really
large event.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net