[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Culture, was Very carefully not panicking...

P. A. Stonnell hlisobel at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 21 10:36:51 PDT 2002

At 01:44 PM 20/09/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Isobel fitz Gilbert wrote:
>>And most important, Cooks do NOT do scullery!
>
>Nice thought. Maybe it works where you are, but if i didn't do at
>least some of the kitchen clean up, no place would rent to us again.

Nay, tis the cooks mantra.  If we all say it oten enough and loud enough, one
day it will be true for all.  Of course I have done my share of cleaning and
am often one of the last to leave.  The first banquet I was head cook for,
the co-hall steward locked the hall door at 3 in the morning, before driving
me home.

My last feast, I had one lady who loves to do scullery, and can get possive
of the
job (and does a very good one at that), it is hard to make her stop and
take a break,
she is afraid someone will mess up her organization while she is a way. And
I had the
Hall Steward cleaning in the kitchen towards the end, partly because some
of the
people she had arranged to do it had not turned up and partly to escape the
hall.  A
very fortunius result for the barony, since she is also our schencale (sp?)
and
was quick to realize that our barony was deficiently supplied in certain
areas.
When she asked why there were so few teatowels (and most of them wet from
use) she
found out that the baron owned none and that all we had to use that day
were the ones
I had brought from home (and I do not own enough for a big feast kitchen)
but the baron
now has its own towels.

Isobel fitz Gilbert