[Sca-cooks] Re: Very carefully not panicking...

P. A. Stonnell hlisobel at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 21 11:02:59 PDT 2002

At 10:37 PM 20/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Also sprach P. A. Stonnell:
>>And most important, Cooks do NOT do scullery!
>
>I've got to agree with Muiredach here.

Good lord, of course I was talking about a perfect world.

>In a perfect world, chefs
>don't do prep work, but in the real world, some prep requires skills
>only the chef will have. In addition, the chef needs to be able to
>demonstrate and instruct on exactly how this prep work is to be done
>(unless they know the assistants are experienced and/or speaking on
>the same wavelength as the head cook).
>
>Sometimes, also, the chef will need to weigh in and assist the
>assistants if they have fallen behind schedule. Generally (but not
>always) the chef is sufficiently experienced in the different kitchen
>jobs that they're still pretty quick in the prep work.
>
>And, as Muiredach suggests, you never want to project the idea that
>you're above any kitchen work, or that you're asking anybody to do
>any work you can't or won't do yourself.

And I would never take on the job of Head Cook if I couldn't do any cooking!
Last banquete I was cooking all day.  Got to sit down when we were pealling
and
slicing the apples for the fritters. No head cook that I know of in our area
doesn't work on the day of the feast (except for the one who couldn't cook and
spent a lot of her time with the garnishes, which she is quite good at; I
still
haven't figured out how she persuaded council to let her be head cook in
the first place).

Isobel fitz Gilbert
who is wondering how a comment about cooks not doing dishes turned into a
treatise on
how the head cook should treat his/her helpers?