[Sca-cooks] Regional dishes... OOP

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Sep 21 16:31:04 PDT 2002

Well, if it's called just "Goulash" that's a generic term for a
stretch-your-food-dollar casserole/stew, made all over the US. In Ohio, it's
referred to John Marzetti- dunno why, but that's what they serve when it's
marked on the school menu- in other areas, it's been called "goulash".

Hungarian Goulash, however, is a different thing- see:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/hungarian/gulyas.html

for the best description I've found as to the purported original of the
dish.

My impression has been that "goulash" was simply an odd word, that referred
to a basic leftover stew or casserole, common, again, amongst poorer folks.

Phlip