Rolls Recipe WAS: Re: [Sca-cooks] pot-lucks?

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 21 18:48:09 PDT 2002

 Aurore wrote:
>Isabella Giovanni wrote:
>Greetings.

>I agree with you on the cost of potlucks. However, I have discovered that
>home-made rolls are always appreciated, make a good impression and >are very inexpensive to make, IF you have the time.

>My recipe makes 5 dozen rolls (so you can take a couple and freeze the
>rest...it freezes pretty well), costs maybe $3?

>If you don't have a favorite, I would be honored to send you a copy of >mine.

>YIS,

>Isabella FN di Giovanni

Greetings All,

I would be sooo honored to share my recipe with the list. The thought that anyone on this list would try it and like it is awesome. You all are sooo far ahead of me in cooking.

If you have any questions, please email me.

If any of you do try it, I would love to know your results and what you think.

NOTES:

Altitude: I live in Aztec, NM, USA, at an altitude of about 7000 feet, so you may have to tweak the recipe to suit where you live.

Yeast: I buy mine in the 1 lb. bag, so I don't know how many packages it would be.

Ingredients:

5 tsp. active dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water (110* to 115*)

11 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

4 cups warm milk (110* to 115*)

4 eggs, large

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup honey

1 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes.

Place 5 cups flour in large mixing bowl. Beat in yeast mixture and milk. Cover and let rise in warm place for 45 minutes (until a sponge has developed).

In a different bowl, combine the eggs, oil, honey and salt until blended. Stir into the sponge mixture. Add remaining flour until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a well floured surface. Knead, adding additional flour, until smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes, 1-2 cups more flour?).

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough. Turn onto a floured surface.

Shape into bread loaves (4 or 5), place in greased bread pan, cover with greased waxed paper (spray Pam works well) and let rise until doubled (about 45 minutes), then bake at 375* until golden brown (about 40 minutes)

OR

Divide the entire amount into 60 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place on greased jelly roll pans, cover with greased waxed paper (Pam still works well) and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375* about 23 minutes, until golden.

NOTES (Yep, more):

This is a VERY versatile sweet dough. You can make cinnamon rolls, etc. I even make my hamburger buns (about 4 dozen) from it, with cracked black pepper and onions or honey mustard on top.

I wanted to make sure of all of my measurement so I made a batch this morning. I have never made this into donuts (as you may have read in earlier posts, I am somewhat known ((famous? or infamous?))for making donuts at our events. In fact, our King and Queen had a new congratulations for me when I got my AoA a few weeks ago. Instead of 3 hip, hip, huzzah I got 3 mmm, mmm, donuts!) but I am trying it as I type. Refrigerating the dough at half point, to see if it is transportable to camp after all the hard work is done.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

YIS,

Isabella
PS, Erika, I bake them, cool and wrap in foil to freeze. I have never been able to get the 'brown and serve' thing figured out. IFNdG