[Sca-cooks] a turnip question unto the group

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Sep 21 20:17:08 PDT 2002

Adamantius skrev:

> It also just occurred to me, and forgive me if this sounds like a
> really dumb question, but are you using actual turnips and not
> rutabagas? It might make a difference in the balance of sweet versus
> bitter.

Yeah, definitely. My experience has been that most people find turnips a bit
bitter to their taste- most people I know add sugar to them. I find them
very tasty, but then I'm known to prefer strong flavors ;-) I also enjoy
subtle ones, contrary to Margali's belief, but I do go up and down the scale
quite a bit ;-)

FYI, just in case you got rutabagas instead of turnips (if you aren't
familiar with the two, and the grocery mis-lables them, you can wind up
thinking one is the other).

Turnips are usually smaller, with a crisp, white flesh. Most I've seen have
been the purple top, where the top of the globe is purple, and the bottom is
white. They shouldn't be larger than about 3 inches diameter, or they get
more bitter, and woody.

Rutabagas have a yellowish flesh. and should actually be larger and sweeter
than turnips- they're harvested later in the season, so they grow more.

I like them both, and particularly like turnip greens (well, I must admit, I
love ANY kind of greens). But, with todays "modern" production and
harvesting methods, there's no telling what they're doing to them, as far as
flavor goes.

Phlip