[Sca-cooks] a turnip question unto the group

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Sep 21 20:54:18 PDT 2002

At 11:17 PM 9/21/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Adamantius skrev:
>
>> It also just occurred to me, and forgive me if this sounds like a
>> really dumb question, but are you using actual turnips and not
>> rutabagas? It might make a difference in the balance of sweet versus
>> bitter.
>
>Yeah, definitely. My experience has been that most people find turnips a bit
>bitter to their taste- most people I know add sugar to them. I find them
>very tasty, but then I'm known to prefer strong flavors ;-) I also enjoy
>subtle ones, contrary to Margali's belief, but I do go up and down the scale
>quite a bit ;-)

I have found that much of the bitterness is removed by roasting or
parboiling them, or even steaming. I slice, them steam or boil. Toss the
water on your plants or something. Then layer the cooked turnips with the
cheese and spices. Yes, as Master A said, I like Meunster. Also have used
Colby. Cheddar isn't especially period (actually, it is the cheddaring
process that is OP, IIRC), but if I'm just making it for my kids they like
the sharp cheddar.

SOmething else you might try is using powder douce, or using white pepper.
Just a thought.

'Lainie