[Sca-cooks] a turnip triumph! thanks to the group!

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 26 09:05:16 PDT 2002

M'lords and M'ladies,
   I wish to share the happy news of the turnip trial
results with the list:
   Turnip Cooking method: This time I boiled the
turnips for 45 minutes with a bit of sugar and the
turnips tasted a bit more bitter than last time when I
cooked them in plain water. To my taste it is not
unpleasant, reminiscent of the taste of broccoli. Next
time I'll try a bit of salt in the water. Adding
flavoring to the water definitely brings out different
undertones of flavors! Very interesting! (Obviously, I
didn't know turnips could do this. I know potatoes and
rice do this.....). Well, let's move on....
   I sliced the turnips into planks and layered them
with cheese and spices, then baked at 350 degrees for
30 minutes, as before.
   Cheese used: I used plain shredded mozzarella (not
fresh) because I had some in the house and did not use
any cheddar. Results: Very tasty! I think there is
something in my genetic memory that identifies cheddar
with something else (perhaps cheeseburgers?). The
mozzarella melted and caramelized beautifully, whereas
the cheddar did not. Next time I'll try edam and/or
fresh mozzarella and/or freshly grated Parmesan.
   Spices used: white pepper (instead of black),
ginger, cinnamon (instead of mace), a very light
sprinkle of onion powder, and a very light sprinkle of
thyme. It was an ambrosial combination! Next time I'll
try some chive snips instead of the onion powder, but
the savory touch lends depth to the dish.
   I am indebted to all of you for your feedback and
advice. A few more adjustments and I'll publish the
recipe. Then I'll go back and research it and find I
re-invented a dish formulated and perfected 700 years
ago.
   YIS,
      Marion, on a turnip quest