[Sca-cooks] Re: Rolls Recipe and a turnip question unto the group

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Sep 22 17:50:16 PDT 2002

>    Unto the list, I have a question. I have just tried
> a simple armored turnip recipe for layers of turnips,
> cheddar cheese, pepper, and mace,  baked until the
> cheese melted. While not a bad dish, it seems to lack
> whatever it is that causes the tongue to dance and
> ingredients to metamorphose to something more than
> their constituent parts. Does anyone have suggestions
> or recipes for turnips or armored turnips?

There are a couple of things that can go wrong (this one sounds like mine,
so I'll take a stab at it)

Make sure you boil them turnips well, and check for 'hard spots' I don't
know how how turnips that you had sworn you boiled the bejeesus out of can
develop uncooked spots, but they can and have. The ones with hard spots
are often quite bitter. It's a nasty surprise even for the armored turnip
fanatic.

Don't use a 'normal' cheese. Use something rich. If you are used to
cheddar, try something different. Cheddar doesn't seem to make as much
cheezy goodness as provolone, muenster or the other soft cheeses-- if you
find them boring, mix in some EXTRA-Sharp cheddar.

I don't care what other cooks say, use some dabs of butter in each layer--
if you skip the butter, you don't get as good a cheezy goodness.

Don't skimp on the spices. Also, try different combinations if you don't
like the one you used. Nutmeg. Cinnamon. Galingale. Grains of Paradise.
Ginger. Etc.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"The lunatic is in my head... There's someone in my head, but it's not me..."