[Sca-cooks] RE: Turkey (Was Food Myths)

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 22 09:49:33 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Bear cites:
>The earliest citation for "turkey" I have seen is for the accounts of one
>Arnot Arnaud for roast turkey at a banquet for Phillpe of Burgundy, 12
>November 1385.  Since I haven't seen anything purporting to be actual
>accounts, I can not say whther this reference really exists or what the
>period wording was.  If this is an actual reference, it may be to a guinea
>fowl or to some other bird imported from the East.

This obviously cannot be the New World bird, but could it have been the
similar native European fowl (now extinct), the bustard?  From my reading,
the main reason for the rapid acceptance of turkey was its resemblance to the
bustard in size and (apparently) taste.  Do we have any data as to when the
bustards were eaten out of existance?  Did the dates overlap the introduction
of the turkey?

Akim
--- Diamond Randall
--- ringofkings at mindspring.com[1]