[Sca-cooks] RE: Turkey (Was Food Myths)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 22 11:19:34 PDT 2002

The period French for the bustard is "bistarde" or  "outarde."  For the
turkey, it is "coq d'Inde," sometimes abbreviated to "dinde."  So, without
the original text or an accurate transcription, it is difficult to determine
what is being referred to as a turkey except that it can't be the New World
turkey and probably isn't the European Great Bustard.

BTW, bustard refers to a number of species which fill the ecological niche
in Europe, Asia and Africa, that the turkey fills in North and Central
America.  The European Great Bustard (Otis tarda) isn't extinct, but is no
longer found normally in Northern Europe.

Bear